Christ Community Church

View Original

Journey Groups adopt a missionary

Below is a note drafted by Craig Walter, CCC's newest member to the Bridge/Global team. We (Journey Groups / Adult Discipleship) are partnering with the following efforts. As you read this note from Craig be pondering this phrase in the back of your mind: "is there anyone in my Journey Group that could OWN this idea for our group?"

Journey Group Leaders,

As part of the Christian and Missionary Alliance, Christ Community Church has always been a very mission’s focused church. To me this means that we don’t just talk about “doing” missions so we can check it off our list. Instead, we actively participate in developing RISKS disciples who are at their very heart “missional” people.

What does that mean? "Missional living" is a Christian term that describes a missionary lifestyle; adopting the posture, thinking, behaviors, and practices of a missionary in order to engage others with the gospel message. I know that’s the heart of your Journey Group Pastor Dusty White for all of the Journey Groups here at CCC.

One way we strive to do this here at CCC is to connect the hearts and minds of our people to our missionaries who are serving the Lord throughout the world. As we deepen our relationships with missionaries, understand the way they think and the way they live, it impacts the way we think and the way we live.

So we are asking each Journey Group to adopt a missionary. To begin with, that simply means the following:
Someone in your group (maybe you as the JG leader but we recommend getting someone else in your group to own this) keeps up-to-date on the issues and prayer requests going on in the life of your missionary. In the attachment below you will see a variety of ways to keep in touch with your missionary. For all the missionaries we recommend you send them an email and ask to be put on their list to receive their newsletters. For some, you can get more in depth information by reading their Blogs or connecting with them on Facebook.

Each time your group spends time in prayer, you remember to pray for that missionary
Depending on which missionary you choose there may be other ways to be involved in their lives and ministry, but we will leave that up to you and your group.

NEXT STEP: Please email Chris Reikofski at chrisr@cccomaha.org so we can get the ball rolling with this project. She will send you out a PDF list of CCC missionaries for you to puruse. After looking through the list, if there is a missionary that you are naturally drawn towards please communicate that to us so that we can start from there. If no preferences arise, we can help guide your Journey Group to a good fit for the adoption process.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact Chris Reikofski, Craig Walter, or Dusty White at 330-3360.

Blessings,

Craig Walter
Global Outreach
craigw@cccomaha.org
(402) 938-1575

P.S. We have a list of missionaries and brief info on each of them for you to puruse. We won't be putting this info on the blog post for sensitivity reasons. Please note that on a couple of our missionaries the information sensitivity is set to HIGH. This means you must be very cautious in your communication to them through email. Please contact me first before you attempt to contact them for any reason and I can help you understand the guidelines.